tirsdag 10. januar 2017

Making a Home; How To Save Money on Groceries

We all need food in order to survive, and at least here in Norway, groceries can be a bit of a money drain, esp. since a lot of food is thrown in the waste bin because of expiration dates and similar. So I wanted to share with you a few tricks to save a bit of cash on the infamous groceries. I might add that this is solutions that work for me, but I can't guarantee that they will work for everyone.

Trick number one; only purchase stuff that you actually need. It might seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes the most obvious stuff is worth repeating.

Trick number two; have a weekly menu plan. Not sure what to make? You could have a couple of themes throughout the week, like Meatless Monday, Soup Day etc, ask the rest of the family what they like, take a look at Pintest and/or favourite food blogs  etc.

Trick number three; write a shopping list and stick to it. You end up buying everything you need for your dinners, and you are less tempted to buy random stuff.

Trick number four; this might seem counterintuitive when it comes to the last trick, but some grocery stores, at least where I live, have items marked half down if they are close to the expiration dates. If you come across something that is marked down, have trick number one in mind - only purchase what you need and what you actually will use.

Trick number five; use coupons, in-store reward cards and discounts/sales for that they're worth. I may not be an extreme couponer, but I have managed to save everthing from $5 to $20 just by being strategic and plan a bit. I always check the local ads every Sunday for a couple of supermarkets in case they have anything that I need on discount and it has helped my grocery budget a bit.

It might seem like I have strategies that involves "a lot" of planning, but when you get into it, it doesn't take that long (or at least doesn't need to).


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar